December 14, 2008

Essay 2-6: Learning with computer

Do you use computer like PC? I'm pretty sure you use it. When did you start using computer? In my case, I've been using computer since I was a younger like 4th grade of elementary school student. But I was not good at computer at all, and I was just using the Internet because I didn't have to use for writing report, what's more, it was not popular at that time. Now I use my laptop almost everyday to do my school stuff, to have fun, and so on. And I would like introduce my experiences through 4 topics; challenge, information, communication, and application.

Firstly, about challenge. Before entering to the university, I didn't know any command or shortcut key such as ctrl+c, ctrl+x, ctrl+v, ctrl+z, and s on. It's because nobody taught that to me. When I was in a class, the teacher taught those function to students. When I heard that, I was really surprised, and I began to use them. Then, I started working as an assistant in the school because I wanted to tell those useful commands to other people, and make them to be good at using computer. By the way, Another challenge is learning other language on the Internet. Mainly, I'm learning English through the web using many sites written in English. This blogging is good lesson to study English too.

I use PC a lot, so I have kind of stiff neck now. Fighting against the stiff neck is also my challenge. It's because I'm still young though, I have a physical strain. Therefore I have to take care of my shoulder almost everyday. Using computer is really good, but using computer too much is not good.

Secondly, about information. I guess most people can use the Internet, which is really useful to all people. The Internet brings us much information, which are from useful to useless as much as possible, and most of them are believable, but there are some wrong information in fact. I use the Internet for searching, learning, and so on. Actually, I could get much information since I started using it, and some command keys that I know now are from the Internet. When I work with the software of Microsoft, I often use the shortcut keys like copy, cut, paste, back, and so on. And they are usable in the Internet for sure.

Thirdly, about communication. Last year's summer, I was taught a website, named Facebook, from an exchange student. Facebook helps me connect and share with the people in my life, and it's for you too. I can keep in touch with Friends living in overseas. I have other stuff. In last fall semester, I took a class related to PC, and in the class, I had to find 2 key pals who live in English-speaking country and non English-speaking country. I was introduced a Russian girl by the teacher, but our friendship didn't continue long, and we are no longer friends. Therefore, I tried to find another friend on the Internet. Finally, I found a girl who lives in Finland. We just met about a year ago, but we keep our relationships by email.

Lastly, about application. The software of Microsoft are really useful, and I definitely use them whenever I write a report, make presentation, and so on. I guess it's necessary in every student’s life. Now a skill of typing is necessary. We can practice it on the Internet or using software. And there are much software for learning something, making something, and things like that. Take iTunes for example, once we got iTunes, we can use podcast for free and we can watch world news, conversation lessons in English, and other stuff like that. Besides, when you go to YouTube, you can enjoy music and videos for free.

As a conclusion, using computer is necessary in our life, even if we are not good at it. However, we definitely will face a situation that we have to use computer in the future. So learning with computer is needed to our life. Learning with computer brings us not only things you want to learn but also brings how to use computer quickly. Computer connects us many wonderful things.

[699 words]

No comments: